Ammon Hepworth graduated with a Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering from Brigham Young University in December, 2014. His industry experience in mechanical engineering dates back to 2006 where he started as a part time CAD designer for Cambric Corporation.
There, he generated 3D models and drawings of the A-10 Warthog in a redesign effort for the US Air Force. In 2007 he spent eight months at Pratt & Whitney where he created CAD automation tools for custom jet engine design processes. Upon returning to school in August of 2007, he spent the next 2½ years researching cutting edge CAD tools to help streamline the design of composite parts. During that time he had a brief respite from research when he spent the summer of 2009 at Lockheed Martin developing CAD automation tools for Skunk Works. In 2010 he graduated with a master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from BYU. Upon graduation he spent a year at ExxonMobil where he constructed analytical computer models of Iraqi oil reservoirs to predict their potential output. In 2011 he returned to Pratt and Whitney as a senior engineer developing CAD automation tools. While there, he acted as the technical lead on a 1 ½ yearlong CAD automation project in addition to managing a $100K BYU research effort and capstone projects at BYU and UConn. In December of 2012 he returned to BYU to take a fulltime research position at the NSF, Center for e-Design working with Drs. Greg Jensen and Ed Red on the development of next generation CAD tools. While there he managed research activities involving over 45 students and $1M in funding. In August of 2014 he completed the requirements for his PhD in Mechanical Engineering and left his position there to work as a software engineer for Siemens PLM Software.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Staves, D.; Hill, L.; Tew, K.; Jensen, C. G.; Red, W. E.: Enhancements for Improved Topological Entity Identification Performance in Multi-user CAD, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, accepted for publication, 2014.
- Heap, R.; Hepworth, A; Jensen, C.; Real-Time Visualization of Finite Element Models Using Surrogate Modeling Methods; Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, accepted for publication, 2014.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Halterman, K.; Stone, B.; Yarn, J.; Jensen, C. G.: An Integrated Task Management System to Reduce Semantic Conflicts in Multi-user CAD, accepted for publication in Concurrent Engineering: Research and Applications, 2014.
- Briggs, J.; Hepworth, A.; Stone, B.; Coburn, J.; Jensen, C. G.; Red, W. E.; Synchronous, Multi-User, Design and Analysis: A Fundamental Approach; Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, accepted for publication, 2014.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Tew, K.; Nysetvold, T.; Bennett, M.; Jensen, C. G.; Automated Conflict Avoidance in Multi-User CAD, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 11(2), 141-152, 2014.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Tew, K.; Trent, M.; Ricks, D.; Jensen, C. G.; Red, W. E.; Model Consistency and Conflict Resolution with Data Preservation in Multi-user CAD; Journal of Computing and Information Science in Engineering, 14(2), 2014.
- Red, W. E.; French, D. Hepworth, A.; Jensen, G.; Stone, B.: Multi-User Computer-Aided Design and Engineering Software Applications, A book chapter in: Cloud-Based Design and Manufacturing (CBDM), Springer International Publishing, 2014.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Nysetvold, T.; Bennett, J.; Phelps, G.; Jensen, C. G.; Scalable Integration of Commercial File Types in Multi-User CAD, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 11(4), 459-467, 2014.
- Hepworth, A.; DeFigueiredo, B.; Shumway, D.; Fronk, N.; Jensen, C. G.: Semantic Conflict Reduction Through Automated Feature Reservation in Multi-user CAD, accepted for the 2014 International Conference on Collaboration Technologies and Systems, 2014.
- French, D.; Stone, B.; Nysetvold, T.; Hepworth, A.; Red, W. E.: Collaborative Principles from Minecraft with Applications to Multi-user CAD, accepted for IDETC/CIE, 2014.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Jensen, C. G.; Roach, J. T.: Methods to Streamline Laminate Composite Analysis and Optimization, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 7(3), 377-386, 2010.
- Hepworth, A. I.; Jensen, C. G.; Roach, J. T.: A CAD Independent Approach to Automate Laminate Composite Design and Analysis, Computer-Aided Design & Applications, 6(2), 147-156, 2009.