Suggested Graduation Plan
The department provides Graduation Plans (see Flow Charts below) to help you plan your course of study efficiently. These plans:
- List graduation requirements, based on your year of admission.
- Show how it is possible to complete all requirements in eight semesters (based on starting in a fall semester). Using BYU MyMAP/Plan Courses you should lay out a personal graduation plan based on your needs and preferences. You should continually update the plan so that you stay on track.
- Explain details about technical electives and Capstone, and shows classes that must be taken at the same time (envelopes).
Consider Your Long Term Career Goals
You should give some thought to your long term career objectives in order to plan the most productive course of study. Open the links below to get information on different career paths for mechanical engineers.
- Click here to see how coursework can prepare you to work in specific industries.
- Mechanical engineers can function as technical experts, develop new products, work in research, become a college professor, and more! Click here to prepare for various career paths.
- Upon admission to the Professional Program, you will be assigned a Faculty Advisor who can guide you to classes and experiences that will help you achieve your career goals.
Track Progress with My Map
When you are admitted to the Professional Program, use BYU My Map/Plan Courses to lay out your plan to complete all graduation requirements in your desired time frame. Then use BYU MyMap/Student Progress to track your progress.
Sometimes, changes in the ME curriculum may complicate fulfilling original requirements, e.g., course number can change, or a required class may no longer be offered. The Mechanical Engineering Undergraduate Advisor (firstname.lastname@example.org) can help you resolve such discrepancies.
Graduation Plans (Flowcharts) by Year of Admission
You are subject to the B.S. graduation requirements based on the academic year in which you were admitted to the Professional Program.