Mechanical Engineering History Timeline

1960 | 1970 | 1980 | 1990 | 2000 | 2010

  • 1952

    Renowned Scientist Harvey Fletcher is asked by President Wilkinson to help establish the Department of Engineering Sciences at BYU.



    Glen L. Enke was employed as the first faculty member and Department Chairman.

  • 1953

    5 year bachelor of engineering sciences is introduced.

  • 1954

    Leland K. Baxter appointed Department Chair

    The department was moved from the College of arts and Sciences to the newly organized College of Physical and Engineering Sciences.

  • 1956

    Robert Collier, Robert Goodell, Allen Johnson, James Makin, Vernon Whatcott (not pictured), Dayton Wittke, and Leon Youd.



    Fletcher Building completed with one wing for each engineering discipline.

  • 1957

     

  • 1959

     

  • 1960

    Mechanical Engineering gets first EPCD (Engineers' Council for Professional Development) accreditation.

  • 1962

    John N. Cannon appointed Department Chair.

  • 1965

    Milton G. Willey appointed Department Chair.

  • 1967

    John Simonsen appointed Department Chair.

  • 1970

  • 1972

    College divides physical and engineering sciences. Technology and Industrial Education are added.

  • 1974

  • 1975

    Blaine Anderson appointed Department Chair.

  • 1977

    5 year bachelor of Engineering Science changed to a 4 year degree.

  • 1981

    Joseph C. Free appointed Department Chair.

  • 1985

  • 1987

    Geoffrey Germane appointed Department Chair.

  • 1990






    Robert H. Todd founding director with Spencer Magleby and Carl D. Sorensen

  • 1992

    Undergraduate major reduced from 136.5 to 128 credit hours.

  • 1995

    Alan R. Parkinson appointed Department Chair.

  • 2001

    Larry L. Howell appointed Department Chair.

  • 2003

  • 2007

    Tim W. McLain appointed Department Chair.

  • 2009

     

  • 2013

    Daniel Maynes appointed Department Chair.

Back to top