Three Minute Thesis (3MT™) http://threeminutethesis.org is a research communication competition developed by The University of Queensland, which challenges students to present a compelling oration on their thesis and its significance in just three minutes in language appropriate to a non-specialist audience.
The competition will be held on February 5, at 4:00 PM 256 CB.
For the ME department competition:
The first 15 to register will receive a $10 BYU gift card!
The first place winner will receive a $150 prepaid VISA !
The runner-up will receive a $100 prepaid VISA!
- Fill out the registration form.
- Send the completed registration form to ME-3MT@byu.edu by 5pm on Thursday February 1st.
- A pdf version of your single slide to be used for the competition is due by 5pm on Friday February 2nd and should also be sent to ME-3MT@byu.edu
Key rules for the competition:
- A single static presentation slide is permitted. No slide transitions, animations or ‘movement’ of kind are allowed. The slide is to be presented from the beginning of the oration.
- No additional electronic media (e.g. sound and video files) are permitted.
- No additional props (e.g. costumes, musical instruments, lab equipment) are permitted.
- Presentations are limited to 3 minutes maximum and competitors exceeding 3 minutes are disqualified.
- Presentations are to be spoken word (e.g. no poems, raps or songs)
- Presentations are to commence from the stage/podium.
- Presentations are considered to have commenced when the presenter starts their presentation through movement or speech.
- The decision of the adjudicating panel is final.
Please review the complete rules and guidelines here.
The ME first place winner and two runners up will advance to the Engineering and Technology College competition held on February 14th at 3PM.
Sample winners of past competitions at other institutions are posted here.